As background, there's scuttlebutt that Columbus Blue Jackets general manager Scott Howson is trying to put together a deal that...well...let's allow noted NHL trade prognosticator Eklund (who is wrong way more often than he's right, granted) to say it with typical Eklund hyperbole:
The Blue Jacket [sic] are involved in trade talks which could rock the hockey world.To be fair, there are others with more credibility that are essentially saying the same thing. So I Tweeted away with my thoughts on what I'm picking up. Read 'em and weep.
- Wish I had time to blog today. Won't happen 'til MUCH later tonight if at all. So here's my CBJ trade thinking...
- If your team can't beat other teams consistently, especially the good ones, why in the world would you have ANY sacred cows?
- Should marketing and the Blue Line be allowed to decide whether a team wins or loses? I say no.
- If your plan is broken, and I'd suggest it probably is, then put everyone out there and see how you can build a better mousetrap.
- So if Howson has Nash and R.J. in the mix, fine by me....but he'd better have a better team when he's done with his work.
- We keep saying that winning cures everything - and then say, "Don't trade [my fave]!!" Forget it. Give me WINNERS, and I'll root for them.
- That being said, I'll echo everyone who says that such a theoretical deal is near-impossible to pull off. But Howson's smart-he can do it.
- So hopefully the shock effect of even CONSIDERING this magnitude of a shakeup gets the CBJ out of their "happy place" and sets things right.
- End of Tweet-rant. Enjoy your day, everyone!
What are your thoughts? (And understand that the marketing/Blue Line reference was just a "slight" exaggeration for effect. I may be dumb, but I'm not stupid.)