|Lumbus 4 - San Jose Sharks 3 - F|
8th Place in the Western Conference
The Blue Jackets enter tonight's game in San Jose needing to win all three games (preferably in regulation) and combined with the Stars and Wings to gain no more than 4 points in their remaining game to make the playoffs. That formula gets the Jackets in the playoffs without having to worry about tie-breakers. It's also means there are a lot of other games to watch that impact the Jackets. How the Wings, Stars, and Wild play all impact the Blue Jackets, so by proxy we become fans of the Blue Jackets and "whoever is playing the Red Wings." But tonight our focus is on the Blue Jacket's roadie in San Jose, a team that the Jackets have played well this season. And well they did on this night.
Tonight's game turned out to be pretty offensive for the Blue Jackets. Bob played solid, but the offense, and importantly the power play, were clicking tonight. The third period saw the Jackets give up a two goal lead when the Sharks tied it at three thanks to Joe Pavelski. But with less that two minutes to go, Ryan Johansen makes the Sharks pay dearly for a turnover at their own blue line and put the puck where Mrs Carter keeps the Oxy, top shelf. (That's a Jeff Carter pill popping reference).
|Tonight we celebrate with beers from the NHL Brewery|
1. Is it any surprise that Mark Letestu get the first tasty glass of "Jaromir Lager." Because when it's crunch time and your best players have to be your best players, a guy making $625k will have to do. Marian Who? But really, can you imagine if Rick Nash only had 1 point in 5 of the most important road games of the season? But seriously Letestu, thanks for playing tonight.
2. Vinny Prospal, this can of Lord Stanley's Celebration Ale is for you. You got sprung for a nice little break away and buried the puck in the net. It was the first time this season my excitement matched the intensity of your celly.
3. Jack Johnson, you get a cool glass of Eric Cole Porter (see what I did there). I'm not sure how you can have both your worst and best defensive plays of the season in the same game, but Anything Goes. Fortunately, there was more good today than there was bad. We'd like to see less bad. Seriously, less Bad.
4. A fourth beer was created in the past few games, the Dalton Prout Stout. Strong, dependable, stay at home kind of beer. The label of this beer will definitely feature a helicopter and the United Center. Prout has been playing big boy minutes the last few games. There's a rookie road bump here and there, but overall, not bad only 30-ish games into your NHL career.
5. Ryan Johansen, this glass of Dino Sniperelli Marzen is for you. The biggest difference on the Blue Jackets this over previous CBJ teams is this team's ability to capitalize on the other teams mistakes. This is a prime example. Then, take a can of Milbuy Extra Special Bitter Cider and hand it out to which ever detractor you choose. The label of this beer will feature an image of Milbury going all Kruschev on a fan DURING A GAME and a crying 12 year old. Suck it, Milbury. You're awful. And your beer is a cider.
6. To honor a great team effort tonight, the sixth beer is for the whole team. It's a case of Lake Placid Believe Wheat Beer. That's right folks. Whether I do believe or not, this team certainly does. And really, that's all that matters.
The Blue Jackets worked hard all night - they were not outworked. There were mental and physical mistakes in this game by the Blue Jackets. In the end, the Jackets stayed calm, cool, and collected after blowing a two goal lead in the 3rd. I don't want to jinx anything, but I think this team can actually get into the playoffs. Of course getting into the playoffs would be easier if Gaborik started contributing a little more. I've been a hockey player and fan for 30 years so my first date butterflies with Gaborik are gone. Step it up buddy. Prove Torts wrong. Get on the Effing board.
The Jackets have a couple days off before they play in Dallas. This upcoming game against the Stars might be an important one to win. The #CBJBWW viewing party at BW3 in Powell is going to be so much fun. Thursday's game will likely be the first 'Game 7' like experience for Blue Jackets fans. I can't wait. I will be there with my DKM Hockey Posse doing another on location Podcast. Its so much fun when April hockey matters in Columbus. So much fun indeed.