|Columbus 2 - Vancouver 1 (shootout)|
9-17-4, 5th in Central Division, 14th in Western Conference
With the win, the Blue Jackets no longer are the worst team in the NHL. At least for one night, that honor goes to the Anaheim Ducks.
1. Ummm...Vancouver kinda sucked tonight - What a strange, strange game. For the life of me, I cannot understand how a team with as much firepower as Vancouver can play such a listless game. I spent most of the evening wondering when the Canucks were going to get a spark and go on a tear. Never happened. Not that I'm complaining, mind you.
2. A made-for-TV movie - The top on-ice story of the evening was the phoenix-like resurrection of Steve Mason's game. After twelve games away due to a combination of a minor concussion (which totally passed me by until tonight when Wiz dropped that in the post-game interview) and poor play...largely as a result of Scott Arniel's terrible "Who needs a defense?" scheme that opened the season. Backup Curtis Sanford finally ran out of gas against Boston in game 29, and Mason got the call tonight.
|Steve Mason was back. Let's hope it was not a one-night-only performance.|
But then he fell. It initially looked like a groin injury, then the Fox guys suggested he may have been poked by an opposing stick under the pads. We learned after the game that Mason was fighting leg cramps all game long, and this was just a big flare-up. Matters not. All I could think of was this scene from Caddyshack, where the priest's incredible golf game in a thunderstorm is capped off by his being killed by a lightning bolt as he finished his round.
Mase, however, was a tad more lucky than the good Father. He came back and won the game for the Blue Jackets in the shootout. Good for him AND good for the team. If it hasn't been abundantly clear, the Blue Jackets need Mason to be strong in net.
3. Insulin shots at the exits - It was Free Food Night for the season ticket holders. Let the pictures do the talking.
|The opening salvo. Rationale: "I brought my 17-year-old." I buy that.|
|A box of pizza. In a tote bag. Yup, it's going home!|
|Confession: I prodded the folks for a photo of nachos and|
cheese in a duffel bag. This was as close as we got. (Thanks, Howye)
|The take-home stash. Is that a Skyline chili-cheese dog there on the left?|
4. Do NOT touch the glass - Tonight, I learned that female Twitter-utilizing fans from British Columbia are really, really offended by Columbus fans banging on the glass during hockey games. It's like we've crossed some line of hockey civility or something. I'm not kidding; they were ticked. Who knew?
5. And here's where the jaws drop - What was more shocking in the shootout: A) The former Olympian Roberto Luongo blew all three save opportunities, or B) The Columbus Blue Jackets made three straight shootout goals en route to a win? Letestu, Nash and Wisniewski all put one past Bobby Lou. Not really sure what to say about it. I honestly can't remember the last time that the CBJ had three straight shootout goals and a win. What a strange feeling. Kinda nice.
NEXT UP: Thursday night, 7PM against the Los Angeles Kings. After grabbing the other half of the Philadelphia Duo of Carter and Richards in the offseason, the Kings have stumbled a bit and fired coach Terry Murray, leaving interim John Steven holding the bag. Rumors are that former Calgary bench boss Darryl Sutter is on the way in. Should be interesting.