|Columbus 3 - Minnesota 1|
16-33-6, 5th in Central Division, 15th in Western Conference
For whatever reason, I got on a "Pulp Fiction" kick during last night's game. Might as well carry it through to the recap.
1. "We're lucky we got anything at all. I don't think Buddy Holly's much of a waiter." - Of the three recent wins two were against the Wild. Clearly, the Wild have lost their early-season mojo. Which is somewhat funny insofar as Wild coach Mike Yeo apparently had some choice words about his team's 'compete level' in the local media and challenged them to play a tough game. The game was anything but tough. I'm not sure Derek Dorsett broke a sweat.
2. "I'll just walk the earth. ... You know, walk the earth, meet people... get into adventures. Like Caine from 'Kung Fu'." - Steve Mason, stopping 34 of 35 Minnesota shots, got his 'trampoline' pads under control for most of the night. While his performance was by no means masterful, he gave me hope that he could perhaps be a decent backup in the short term and maybe a legit starter once against in a few years. Most likely somewhere else, if the Blue Jackets can convince some team to pick up his $2.9 million cap hit.
3. "Do you know what they call a Quarter Pounder with cheese in France?" - R.J. Umberger may have netted two goals and Rick Nash may have had two assists on the night, but Derrick Brassard once again turned the top line into a virtual Royale with Cheese. I mean, check out this assist on Umberger's first goal of the night:
4. "Zed's dead, baby." - Laughing Cal Clutterbuck apparently was injured during the game and did not return. I don't know how he got hurt. Minnesota Wild fans surely were concerned for his well-being.
5. "Now Jimmie, hand them the soap." - James Wisniewski, back after something like 18 games out due to injury, dropped an empty net lob into the back of the net to seal the deal. The incredulous look on his face following the goal - including the near-toothless grin - was priceless.
Bonus number 6. Three wins in four games warrants a little celebration. So let's allow Mia and Vincent to do it for us:
NEXT UP: The Blue Jackets hopped the red eye back to Columbus and hopefully got a couple hours of sleep before getting ready for tonight's 6PM home game against the visiting Anaheim Ducks.